The Library
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NationStates Region: The Library

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to issues with this forum and dislike of this forum, we've moved! Please join us at:http://library.taijitu.org/! Smile Thanks so much! -The Admin Team

When Were The Good Old Days?

Go down 
+6
Skizzy Grey
Earth
carracalla
Jusduckria
PASD
Oliver
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Oliver
Admin
Oliver

When Were The Good Old Days? Empty
PostSubject: When Were The Good Old Days?   When Were The Good Old Days? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Did they ever exist? Are we just nostalgic for a time that never was? If they did exist, can we ever go back? Curious to see opinions here.
Back to top Go down
https://nsthelibrary.canadian-forum.com
PASD

PASD

PostSubject: Re: When Were The Good Old Days?   When Were The Good Old Days? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 10:38 pm

The good old days haven't happened yet. We are living them now.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/mjportash
Jusduckria

Jusduckria

PostSubject: Re: When Were The Good Old Days?   When Were The Good Old Days? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 11:01 pm

That's a bit depressing.
Back to top Go down
carracalla

carracalla

PostSubject: Re: When Were The Good Old Days?   When Were The Good Old Days? EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 1:40 am

The good old days never truly existed but it only exist in dreams for people who can't handle today's reality. People who use that phrase tend to look at the past somewhat romantically and willingly ignore every little fact that might disturb their happy dream.

PS: that provocative enough? Laughing

Back to top Go down
Oliver
Admin
Oliver

PostSubject: Re: When Were The Good Old Days?   When Were The Good Old Days? EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 8:58 am

carracalla wrote:
The good old days never truly existed but it only exist in dreams for people who can't handle today's reality. People who use that phrase tend to look at the past somewhat romantically and willingly ignore every little fact that might disturb their happy dream.

PS: that provocative enough? Laughing

I pretty much agree. There are some things about a younger age I'm a bit nostalgic for, like a time when you could legitimately not be reached by telephone (I like my alone time, but I don't own a cell right now, so I can still pull this off). I wouldn't call that the good old days, though.
Back to top Go down
https://nsthelibrary.canadian-forum.com
Earth

Earth

PostSubject: Re: When Were The Good Old Days?   When Were The Good Old Days? EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 3:49 pm

There's good things and bad things at every age; reminiscing is alright as long as one does not get lost in the idea of a euphoric past.
Back to top Go down
Skizzy Grey

Skizzy Grey

PostSubject: Re: When Were The Good Old Days?   When Were The Good Old Days? EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 6:37 pm

Nostalgia for the "good old days" is almost exclusively the province of white men, for the obvious reason.
Back to top Go down
Peaceful Llamas

Peaceful Llamas

PostSubject: Re: When Were The Good Old Days?   When Were The Good Old Days? EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 9:23 pm

Skizzy Grey wrote:

Nostalgia for the "good old days" is almost exclusively the province of white men, for the obvious reason.

In the West, perhaps. Certainly not in countries that do not have a white majority Razz

But I don't really buy what you say either way. More the province of old white men, but not as exclusively as you say, methinks.
Back to top Go down
Skizzy Grey

Skizzy Grey

PostSubject: Re: When Were The Good Old Days?   When Were The Good Old Days? EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 10:23 pm

[quote="Peaceful Llamas"][quote="Skizzy Grey"]
Nostalgia for the "good old days" is almost exclusively the province of white men, for the obvious reason.[/quote]

In the West, perhaps. Certainly not in countries that do not have a white majority Razz

But I don't really buy what you say either way. More the province of old white men, but not as exclusively as you say, methinks.[/quote]

Most countries without a white majority were colonized in the "old days," so I don't think my observation was unique to the West
Back to top Go down
Nick Anumia

Nick Anumia

PostSubject: Re: When Were The Good Old Days?   When Were The Good Old Days? EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 10:25 pm

Whenever you became old enough to drive, drink, and fornicate. Not necessarily in that order or seperately.
Back to top Go down
Peaceful Llamas

Peaceful Llamas

PostSubject: Re: When Were The Good Old Days?   When Were The Good Old Days? EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 10:28 pm

Skizzy Grey wrote:
Peaceful Llamas wrote:
Skizzy Grey wrote:

But I don't really buy what you say either way. More the province of old white men, but not as exclusively as you say, methinks.

Most countries without a white majority were colonized in the "old days," so I don't think my observation was unique to the West

There are certainly plenty of Indians nostalgic for those days. But when it comes to the "kids respected their elders and everyone worked harder, etc" I think that has little to do with any reality and is quite universal. We idealize our youth, though we hate it when we go through it.
Back to top Go down
Skizzy Grey

Skizzy Grey

PostSubject: Re: When Were The Good Old Days?   When Were The Good Old Days? EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 10:32 pm

I was not imagining the "good old days" going back before 1492, but was rather thinking of times within the living memory of our elders. Obviously, you have a point about the Indians.
Back to top Go down
ACKJVR

ACKJVR

PostSubject: Re: When Were The Good Old Days?   When Were The Good Old Days? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:12 am

I really just use the term "the good old days" as an expression. I use it more for sarcasm of joke reasoning, rather than any legitimate reminiscing on old times.

If I actually use it seriously, I think of it as a time that you remember that was good, but now things have changed.
Back to top Go down
Henry Von Hoffman

Henry Von Hoffman

PostSubject: Re: When Were The Good Old Days?   When Were The Good Old Days? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 4:20 am

We all remember a time that we wish would have lasted forever: a golden moment where everything was going perfectly and nothing seemed able to touch you. A time when we truly felt immortal. Those times will always be remembered as the good old days, but it's nothing to feel remorseful about. Just as truthful as saying that things will never be the same again is saying that times like that will happen again to create fresh old times when reflected upon from future vantage points. Life is a series of taking the bad with the good and even though you may wish for a return to what was comfortable and perfect for you, take solace in the fact that such comfort and perfection will visit you, fleetingly, again and again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When Were The Good Old Days?   When Were The Good Old Days? Empty

Back to top Go down

When Were The Good Old Days?
Page 1 of 1