The Library
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NationStates Region: The Library

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to issues with this forum and dislike of this forum, we've moved! Please join us at:http://library.taijitu.org/! Smile Thanks so much! -The Admin Team

Qaddafi dead.

Go down 
+3
Skizzy Grey
carracalla
Earth
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Earth

Earth

Qaddafi dead. Empty
PostSubject: Qaddafi dead.   Qaddafi dead. EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 11:22 am

I was just curious on people's thoughts on this one. Razz Personally, I was kinda meh. I found out when MSNBC proclaimed that "Kaddafy" was dead, and got a bit annoyed over the spelling there.

Anyways, thoughts?
Back to top Go down
carracalla

carracalla

Qaddafi dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qaddafi dead.   Qaddafi dead. EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 1:00 pm

It ruins the changes on the sequel "the khadaffi's strike back"...
Also wonders who will be the next khadaffi...
Back to top Go down
Skizzy Grey

Skizzy Grey

Qaddafi dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qaddafi dead.   Qaddafi dead. EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 2:22 pm

If you're not old enough to remember the '80s,he was just another Arab/African dictator who brutalized his people. The "meh" reaction is understandable, and appropriate.

I am partial to the "Qaddafi" spelling. And I will miss his taste in berets.
Back to top Go down
Henry Von Hoffman

Henry Von Hoffman

Qaddafi dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qaddafi dead.   Qaddafi dead. EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Personally, my favorite part of it all is where we eschew american standards and procedures while abroad to support vigilante justice. This doesn't set a good precedent back home if they wish to keep people from taking the law into their own hands instead of allowing the courts to do what they were designed to do.

Personally, I think it's what America needs; to see that our country isn't out to do what's right in the world, just what's convenient and quick. Should Gadhafi have come to justice for his crimes? Sure. Should we have been involved at all? No. Should we have supported his execution instead of seeing that he went to trial? No, because the result would have been the same. How can we sit there and undermine our own beliefs of due process like that and on a world scale? If we were going to involve ourselves as it became apparent that we did, then why didn't we insist on a trial? Were people afraid that the crimes this man committed would not get him the guilty verdict? Or were they so caught up in the Eastern part of the world where law isn't as strong that they actually thought killing a man in cold blood was the correct answer?
Back to top Go down
Earth

Earth

Qaddafi dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qaddafi dead.   Qaddafi dead. EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 6:00 pm

I want a set translation spelling, damn it. *twitch*

They're investigating the death because the rebels say he died in combat but videos show him being captured, then later a video shows him dead. Claims have been made that he was shot while trying to escape.
Back to top Go down
Skizzy Grey

Skizzy Grey

Qaddafi dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qaddafi dead.   Qaddafi dead. EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 10:09 pm

Henry, if someone in America kills a man who raped his daughter, do we prosecute him? Yes, because we're committed to the rule of law -- but it's not nearly as high a priority as, say, prosecuting someone who killed a man to steal his car. I mean, if scarce resources forced us to prosecute one or the other, we'd all choose to prosecute the carjacker and let the vigilante go, right?

Libya doesn't have rule of law in any meaningful sense. They are in a desperate situation, and they need to prioritize. Under the circumstances, prosecuting whoever shot Qaddafi is an extremely low priority.
Back to top Go down
ACKJVR

ACKJVR

Qaddafi dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qaddafi dead.   Qaddafi dead. EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 10:43 pm

Watch a bit and it'll relate to spelling Razz
Back to top Go down
Zaolat

Zaolat

Qaddafi dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qaddafi dead.   Qaddafi dead. EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 1:56 am

I don't like people getting all happy about a guy dying. Sure he was an ass, and did bad things, and probably deserved it.

It makes me think some people treat people's deaths a food for the lions in the Roman Coliseum.

That's just me though.
Back to top Go down
Guy

Guy

Qaddafi dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qaddafi dead.   Qaddafi dead. EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 5:14 am

Qaddafi dead. 3c642f3123a34a2b7372d0ff0a9e57c4

As for thoughts: Not happy, but best possible outcome. Now they can put the Civil War behind them and concentrate on rebuilding their country.
Back to top Go down
Earth

Earth

Qaddafi dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qaddafi dead.   Qaddafi dead. EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 5:53 pm

Does it make it easier that he is dead or harder because people might feel it was wrong?
Back to top Go down
Guy

Guy

Qaddafi dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qaddafi dead.   Qaddafi dead. EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 10:19 pm

The fact that we think it's wrong doesn't really affect the situation in Libya... Wasn't really an outcry against it there, I don't think.

Having said that, I'd rather Gaddafi in power than the NTC, or democratic elections (which probably won't happen). Just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
Henry Von Hoffman

Henry Von Hoffman

Qaddafi dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qaddafi dead.   Qaddafi dead. EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 11:38 am

Yeh, tryin' to introduce elections to a people and place that knows very little of them and are not in the correct mindframe to receive them is just asking for trouble.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Qaddafi dead. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Qaddafi dead.   Qaddafi dead. Empty

Back to top Go down

Qaddafi dead.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Library :: Multimedia and Culture Centre :: Marlowe Community Centre-
Jump to: